Welcome to the Market – Garden
Rent a garden bed at a local farm. Learn to grow your own food and how selling local food works.
Starting May 20
Cost: $120 for the full season
Join long time Yukon organic gardener, Shiela Alexandrovich, at her Wheaton River Gardens for six half day workshops that will give you seasonal experience and confidence to get you growing.
We will cover the following outline, realizing that the weather may re-arrange our schedule for us!
- May 20 – Start with planning, layout, seedlings and spring preparation of beds
- May 27 – Planting day. Includes transplants for early harvest, companion planting, market planning, row cover
- June17 – Maintenance, succession planting, fertilizing regimes. First harvest.
- July 22 – Maintenance, late planting for fall harvest, last fertilization, fermenting and drying foods for storage/sale, second harvest.
- Aug 19 – Harvesting, maintenance, the financials of small scale production
- Sept 9 – Last harvest, putting beds to sleep, final local food dinner and evaluation
All workshops are 1 to 4:30 pm, on Sundays.
A seasonal approach to hands on gardening skills that will help you grow food and maybe even become a small scale grower /producer.
You will take home food, learn to preserve, learn about local food production, MT Lorne Market and CSA and be part of the solution.
Cost : $ 120.00 for full season
Fee includes :
- 6 day workshop/ education with Sheila
- seeds and bedding plants and all other materials as needed
- produce from full season to take home
Wheaton River gardens are located at km 24 Annie Lake Road – please follow the signs
For more info or to reserve a spot call 667-7083 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org